Monday, March 7, 2011

It's Never Easy

The other day, my husband referred to my 12 mile training run, saying, "Remember how 12 miles used to be really hard, and now it's easy for you!" I quickly responded, "No, it's never easy." Every mile that I run is work, hard work. I'm not a natural runner, no long gazelle legs here. Each mile presents its own challenges, and sometimes a 4 mile run can be harder than a 10 miler.

As I wrap up my training with less than two weeks until the big day, I realize that a big difference (among many quite obvious ones) between the pain and effort of distance running and the struggle with Devic's is that I choose to run, it's good for me even when it hurts, and I can stop at any time. I get to have control over the toll taken on my body, and I get to have rest days. Part of the reason that I run so much is that it helps me in a tiny way understand what my mom is suffering, but of course I know that I can never do that. What I can do, however, is continue to appreciate the work that my body can do each time I push through a stubbornly difficult mile. I can enjoy the feeling of muscles working and heart beating. I can be grateful that I have the choice and the freedom to run. And these thoughts can propel me forward.

We are within $300 of our $1500 goal. Please consider donating to Guthy Jackson, either by a direct donation to them (http://www.guthyjacksonfoundation.org/) or by purchasing notecards at Tulaloo (http://tulaloo.blogspot.com/2011/02/world-we-live-in-devics-disease.html).

No comments:

Post a Comment