Monday, October 15, 2012

My Personal Best

For those of you who are (or know) runners, you know how motivating it can be to try to set a new PR, or personal record. I just set a new PR for the half marathon, beating my pregnant self of last year. As silly as chasing down personal records might seem, they actually serve a greater purpose: to inspire you to keep running even when your body or brain get in the way.

On November 18, I want to earn two PRs when I run the Philadelphia Marathon. The first is to beat my Shamrock Marathon time of 3:59. It's the less realistic of my two goals, however, and it's the less important one. My second goal is to raise more money for NMO research than I did when I ran the Shamrock Marathon in 2011. We raised $2,015 last time in honor of my mom, who has suffered from NMO (or Devic's Disease) for over 5 years. This time, I would like to raise at least $2,500.

There's still no cure for this disease, and the treatment options are limited. Through her experience with Devic's, my mom has shown what true strength really is. In running, a PR is also called a PB, or personal best. Every step I take of my marathon is a reminder to be strong and to make each moment a personal best.

If you'd like to learn more about NMO or to donate, visit http://www.guthyjacksonfoundation.org/donate/tribute-donations/. Be sure to let them know your donation is in honor of Patti Lellock.

No comments:

Post a Comment