Saturday, October 27, 2012

The Taper

As the Northeast geared up for a hurricane, I squeezed in my last long run in a little early. I was hoping it would be another 20 miler, but I only had time for 15. When it comes to juggling child care, dissertation writing, and distance running, I've learned that I have to be flexible and to accept my limitations. Whether it's insufficient time or an injury or some other stumbling block, I can't sit around and stew in my own juices when things don't go my way. When I throw a pity party for myself, I waste valuable time that could be spent doing a short run or making paper pumpkins with my girls.

To quote Star Wars, "Your focus determines your reality." So, instead of worrying about not fitting in another 20 miler, I'm choosing to think of it as an early taper. One of the highlights of the taper is that you get more time to do non-running activities, like working or snuggling with the kids. Another is that your risk of injury goes way down as you're gentler on your body. During the taper, you can accept (guilt-free!) that less running is exactly what your body and mind need to prepare for the long haul of the marathon. Sometimes, slowing down a bit has unexpected benefits.

My mom's disease has forced her to slow WAY down, and while it's not really fair to compare her experience to a training taper, they are similar in that slowing down forces you to see things differently and to reevaluate your priorities. She does this with grace. Though she does tend to put more things on her to do list than any sane person could manage, she has learned to prioritize her goals and to divide them into manageable chunks. 

Despite my hopes to keep things in perspective, there is a little part of my brain wondering whether I could possibly sneak in a 20-miler next week. I know better, though, and will do my best to enjoy the taper.

Don't forget, please donate to the Guthy Jackson Foundation and write "In Honor of Patti Lellock." Let's meet this goal together! The link is http://www.guthyjacksonfoundation.org/donate/tribute-donations/.

No comments:

Post a Comment