Wednesday, November 21, 2012

The Race Before Us

"let us run with patience the race that is set before us"

--King James Bible, Hebrews 12:1

At the race on Sunday, someone was holding up a sign with this biblical verse on it. In addition to the many humorous signs (at mile 2, for instance, one that said, "If you were Paul Ryan, you would've been here an hour ago) and motivational signs ("If running a marathon were easy, everyone would do it"), this sign in particular caught my attention and helped me focus on the run when it got tough. At mile 7, when the first big uphill set my stomach and quads into turmoil, my mantra became, "Run the race you're in" or "Run this race." Instead of focusing on my desired time--which I did not quite make--or on how to improve in future races, thinking about these lines reminded me to focus on the present moment, to enjoy the way that my feet touched the pavement, to hear the cheers of people calling out my name (since it was printed on the bib), and to appreciate the endurance and strength of my body as it powered through the last really hard, uphill 10K. Such zen thinking, to stay in the moment and to focus on my breathing, has often centered me and also often eluded me. It's easy to worry about the next few miles, to fret about not meeting my goals, or to wonder how I might prepare better next time. But what's lost in such fears and hopes and regrets is the joy of the experience of living in my body as it is pumping life through my veins and helping me to achieve really exciting things. So I'm grateful to Mrs. Sign Holder for helping me remember that each step that day was a pleasure, a gift, and a reward.

A few posts ago, I argued that NMO wasn't a battle, that war rhetoric would never fully capture my mom's experience as viewed through me eyes. Although comparing her ordeal to a race isn't fair either, I hope you'll indulge me in a race metaphor. Despite the hardships that she faces living with Devics, my mom attempts each day to run the race that she is in, with endurance, with patience, and with grace. Even when she fights her limits (often), she takes time to notice the birds in the trees, to laugh with her granddaughters, and to listen to my concerns. Her race is not easy, it is not fair, and it leaves behind wear and tear. But she runs on. One foot in front of the other.

It's not too late to donate to Guthy Jackson at http://www.guthyjacksonfoundation.org/donate/tribute-donations/ and to write "in honor of Patti Lellock." Every penny of your donation goes to research to find a cure for NMO. Thank you to everyone who has already supported us whether through donations or encouragement.

No comments:

Post a Comment