Saturday, February 12, 2011

Break on Through

It's common to reach a point in a long run where a runner feels as though she has "hit the wall," as though it is impossible to keep running. I tend to reach that point around mile 16 or 17, which is bad news, of course, for someone who plans to run for another 9 or 10 miles! Every runner needs some trick or motivation to break through this wall, and I'm no different.

One thing that helps is realizing that the wall is imaginary. I know that physically I am capable of moving my legs for many miles past the moment I first feel weak. Sure, it's much harder than the first part of the run; my hips and knees ache, my mind is foggy, and my body lacks fuel. But I know that I can will myself to go on despite feeling depleted and conquered.

During my 19 miles today, I had a much more moving source of inspiration. The Guthy Jackson Foundation sent me a weekly report yesterday of how much we have raised to support NMO research. My goal for the entire fundraising effort was $500. In only one week, we broke through our goal, nearly doubling it: $912.20. Breaking through an imaginary wall is far less challenging with such an overflow of support.

One thing that my mom has taught me is never to settle, always to aim high. Her experience with NMO is no different; she's a daily lesson in breaking through challenges that are far more painful and difficult than running a few extra miles. With that in mind, I've decided to raise my fundraising goal from $500 to $1500. If you haven't already had the chance, please help us meet this new challenge by making a donation to the Guthy Jackson Foundation in honor of Patti Lellock.

In case you've forgotten, here's the information on how to do that: There are two ways to donate to the Foundation. One is through a written check mailed directly to the Foundation at All Greater Good Foundation, 8910 University Center Lane, Suite 725, San Diego, CA, 92122. The other is to visit the website at www.guthyjacksonfoundation.org/about-us/donate/ and to make a donation through PayPal. Be sure to write a note or memo letting them know that the donation is in honor of Patti Lellock, so that we know how much money we have raised. I myself have donated online, and it is easy and secure.

Please share the information with your friends and family members!

No comments:

Post a Comment