Sunday, February 6, 2011

Winter Running in a College Town

Running in the winter can be a drag. Slush slows you down. Ice slips you up. Sometimes your path is completely blocked by snow. And it's cold. Some days are so cold that walking out the door is nearly impossible. The only thing that keeps you going on those deep winter days is knowing how easy it would be to just give up if you don't go outside and move your feet. It would be so easy to just snuggle into your warm bed, curl up, and forget about the whole thing.

But, for me, winter has its rewards, too. First, I feel so tough running on days when no one in their right mind is going outside. On those days, only a handful of hardcore runners are bundled up and hitting the trails or streets, and that makes me feel really strong. Further, the cold struggles of winter can make days like today seem heavenly: 38 degrees and sunny, with the steady drip and crackle of melting snow and ice. My run today felt downright balmy, and it turned around my cranky, sluggish mood into something nearing transcendence. The harshness of winter helps me appreciate my endurance, while at the same time giving me the perspective to appreciate the beauty of a sunny day. Winter running builds strength and promises renewal.

Running in a college town heightens this hope for refreshment and rejuvenation. Today, I ran past the freshmen dorms, where students were toting their freshly washed clothing and lovingly packed bags of food back to their rooms for the start of a new semester. For them, the spring semester is about to begin, with its promise of a fresh start, of a new chance to push through their challenges and to meet new successes.

Winter can be hard on anyone. Its oppression can seem never-ending, as though the cold will chill your bones, the grey skies will stifle your spirit, and the diminished daylight will sap your energy. It can make you want to quit, to hide, to hibernate. While pushing past such desires can be difficult, the rewards are immense. I imagine that even those who suffer a chronic disease such as NMO feel as though it's always winter, but I have hope that there can be days like today for them, for my mama. A lift in the cold, a promise of renewed strength, and a moment to appreciate the beauty of a sunny day.

No comments:

Post a Comment