Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Stronger

I don't usually post two entries in one day, but my mom's post is such an inspiration that I couldn't resist sharing my refreshed spirit. The pity party is over. Motivated by mom and by the support of my friend, Jess, whose stationery company will donate all proceeds on its notecards to Guthy-Jackson (see below), I have renewed energy and commitment. I ran 5 miles at just about BQ goal pace today (8:23 per mile). I've also decided that I will still try to qualify at Steamtown in October, even though the qualifying time will be harder. If I don't make it, well, as my mom told me while I was whining about my last roadblock, "Just think how much you've already accomplished while going for your goal." It's kind of embarrassing to admit that I whine about such minor setbacks to my mom, who has her own much more challenging struggles to face. Her encouraging response is further evidence of her strength of character and her concern for others, despite her own problems.

Not that she doesn't have her own well-deserved pity parties (as she admits in her post). She recently had yet another setback in her goal to go back to work, which of course was a disappointment. Despite her frustration, she told me, "I'm going to fill my mind with art instead of sorrow." This poetic sentiment reflects a recurring theme in my mom's life; it seems as though she always bounces back from setbacks by turning to art. For example, she takes these amazing photographs, tweaks them with digital imaging software, and writes beautiful poetry to accompany them. Then, she shares her art with others. Like an alchemist, she transmutes the dark matter of pain and suffering into gold, making the world more lovely. She draws upon her suffering to be stronger, and the work she creates inspires others to live better.

Like my mom's art, music has the ability to move me and to make me move. A good beat or a well-timed lyric helps me overcome the desire to quit or to slow down. One of my favorite lines is from Kanye West's "Stronger": "Now that that don't kill me...Can only make me stronger." The driving beat coupled with the motivational words forms a catalyst (two chemical metaphors in one post!) that propels me forward even in my worst running moments. For that reason, I strategically placed it in my marathon playlist at mile 16, the point where I know I tend to falter. It is at our lowest points that we most need inspiration, and art and music are wonderful sources of it.

So this week, I'm calling for support in the form of art. I encourage you to support our cause in one (or more!) of the following ways:

1. Submit a motivational song that I can add to my marathon day playlist. I will think of you when I hear the song and draw on your positive energy when I'm slogging through the miles.

2. Purchase some beautiful notecards from http://www.tulaloo.blogspot.com. She's donating the proceeds of notecards sales between now and March 20th to the Guthy-Jackson Foundation in honor of my mom. She's an amazing artist and an even better friend. She's already raised over $180 in just a day of the promotion--please contribute!

3. Create some art of your own! Write a poem, take a photo, paint, sing a song, whatever inspires you.

3 comments:

  1. You are such a wonderful woman, friend, daughter, wife, and mother, Jasmine!

    1. Cyndi Lauper, "Shine": "Gonna pull you up by your love, by your love and tell you: SHINE!" (Did you go to the Boston fireworks when she sang with the Boston Pops?)

    2. I bought note cards!

    3. I guess I better go get my camera out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you should listen to
    Kid Cudi- Pursuit of Happiness

    I'll come up with more

    I bought note cards, do you think Jess could make those butterfly cards as a generalized thank you so I could buy a bunch for my mum?

    ReplyDelete
  3. nice choice, car!

    I bet Jess will. Just email her at her tulaloo address. Jess is the best.

    ReplyDelete